Dear Future Americans:
Hey, you. May peaceful times be ahead. Whatever history may write about this time, let me clue you in on a couple of things.
- Do your research. The media has been extremely active the election cycle. People would get inflamed from a statement, a speculation would snowball, one inflammatory statement would ignite retaliation as is escalated at exponential rate. It is so important for you to be informed! Look at multiple platforms of information from both parties. Make sure people are citing or validating their claims. Make sure you don’t just listen to CNN or Fox or Buzzfeed for your information. Consult the word of God. What does he have to say about these issues? Just because someone is a republican doesn’t mean they uphold biblical values; just because someone is a democrat doesn’t mean they don’t.
- You don’t have to vote down party lines. I know many who voted a certain way because they always have. Be informed about the issues and plans and policies of candidates (see above).
- Local elections matter. I know it seems like just a bunch of names, but these people make decisions that will directly affect the buildings you work in, the company you work for, the roads you drive on, and the people you interact with.
- Just because he is the president of the US, does not mean the majority of people agree with his opinions. Fear. Fear drove this election. But it doesn’t drive everyone. The popular vote went to an inclusive individual, not without her flaws, but not preaching a rhetoric of fear or hate either.
- It is not okay for women to be treated or talked to the way he does. I am sorry that we set an example for you that you can sexually assault women and, not only get away with it, but become an American president as well. Treat women with respect, as individuals inherently imbued with dignity because they are made in the Father’s image.
- It is not okay for him to fear-monger and lump Muslims and refugees in with jihadists. Look up the vetting process to even find refuge in our country.
- It is not okay for him to have a complete disregard to the planet; be a good steward of the earth we were given. Climate change is real. I can’t believe it’s 2016 and I still have to write that.
- It is not okay to ignore and invalidate the fears and concerns of others. Right now is a very socially charged atmosphere. History will look back at this time, and, I can only hope, say we overcame. If someone is afraid, don’t say that they aren’t or that they can’t be. Seek understanding. Be an ally and a safe place for the exiles, the marginalized, women, people of color, and the underprivileged.
- Love others. Love and do not hate. It doesn’t say love those that agree with you. Division is rampant; love reconciles.
- You decide. You decide how you will act and behave. You decide the behaviors you will allow and the behaviors you will challenge. You decide to vote. Please, decide to exercise your power to decide when you can. Decide where you draw the line. And then, hold the line.
To close it off, I’ll leave you with a quote from the Queen (J.K. Rowling of course): “We stand together. We stick up for the vulnerable. We challenge bigots. We don’t let hate speech become normalized. We hold the line.”
With all my love and efforts and hopes and dreams,